Erling Larson has been a physician in Davenport, Iowa, since 1954 and clinical associate professor of internal medicine at the UI College of Medicine since 1976. He donates more than 500 hours per year of bedside teaching at the Family Practice Residency program at Mercy-St. Luke's Davenport, an affiliate of the University of Iowa College of Medicine. On May 1, he assumed the presidency of the Iowa Medical Society, the highest post of honor among the state's medical practitioners.
Dr. Larson received his M.D. from the UI College of Medicine in 1948. In the years since his graduation he has volunteered his time and resources for many University of Iowa campaigns and causes. He served on the National Committee for the Cardiovascular Research Center and the Hawkeye Arena Recreation Program. Since 1973, he has served on the UI Foundation's board of directors, including a term as president from 1978-1981. He is a lifetime Honorary Director of the Foundation and a member of the Alumni Association's Old Capitol Club, as well as the Presidents Club.
As a member of the Iowa Council, Dr. Larson is active in legislative affairs on behalf of the university. He has served on many university and university-related committees, including the Presidential Search Committee, the admissions committee for the College of Medicine, and the University Committee for Outreach. In 1979 he was awarded the Hancher Medal at the Finkbine Awards Dinner.
Until he became president of the Medical Society, Dr. Larson was senior Iowa delegate to the American Medical Association for six years.