E.J. (Jack) Liechty has had a distinguished newspaper and publishing career. He entered the business as Iowa City agency circulation manager for the Des Moines Register in 1930. He later also handled the distribution of the Iowa City Press-Citizen as an agent, and then in 1937 joined the Press-Citizen as a circulation manager. He became publisher and president of the Press-Citizen in 1962 and in 1966 was named general manager of Speidel Newspapers, Inc., parent company of the Press-Citizen and other newspapers across the United States.
He was named president of Speidel in 1968 and served in that position until his retirement in 1972. He continued as chairman of the executive committee until 1977, when Speidel merged into Gannett Co., Inc., the nation's largest newspaper company. He was a member of the board of directors of Gannett for four years and also was a trustee of the Gannett Foundation.
Mr. Liechty has been a generous contributor to many campaigns and capital projects at the University of Iowa, including the Hancher Auditorium, the restoration of Old Capitol, the Cardiovascular Center, the Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and several programs for the School of Journalism.
In 1981, he joined the University's Journalism Advisory Committee. He also serves on the national committee of the Campaign for Iowa Hall. He is a life member of the Presidents Club.